Resources for Parishes
How Parishes Can Promotes Priestly and Religious Vocations
• Holy Hours for Vocations. Have a special Holy Hour to pray for priestly and religious vocations.
• Rosary for Vocations. During the rosary, mention candidates by name.
• Eucharistic Procession for Vocations. On the Feast of Corpus Christi, consider dedicating your Eucharistic procession to pray for vocations to the priesthood and religious life.
• Prayers for Vocations. Here is a list of several different prayers to use.
• Way of the Cross for Vocations PDF: https://www.rapidcitydiocese.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/Way-of-the-Cross-for-Vocations-2021.pdf
• Lenten Night Prayer for Families PDF: https://www.rapidcitydiocese.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/Lenten-Night-Prayer-Booklet-2021.pdf
• Workshops for Altar Servers. Teach altar servers about vocational discernment.
• Parish Discernment Groups. Small groups for young people led by parish priest or sister, with help from parents, to help them understand vocations. Consider the Melchizedek Project for boys or Avow groups for young women.
• Attend ordinations. Coordinate for confirmation students or youth groups to attend an ordination
• Traveling Crucifix Program. In this program, a crucifix it brought home by a different family each week. It is kept in a special place by the family, who prays each day for more vocations. Crucifix kit
• Vocations library. Keep a special corner of the vestibule stocked with vocation-related materials.
• Poster/coloring/ essay/video contests. Organize a contest with a vocations theme for students.
• Vocation stories. Invite priests to tell their vocation stories at parish events.
• Web page. Create a page on your parish website with vocation information.
• World Day of Prayer for Vocations. Be sure to celebrate in your parish the Fourth Sunday of Easter
• Vocation Director. Invite him to the parish for a weekend, for Mass and a meal with parish families. Contact
• Celebrate ordination anniversaries. Honor parish priests and celebrate within the parish and school.
• Support Seminarians. Send greeting cards to each seminarian at the beginning of a new semester, holidays, exam times, birthdays, ordinations, etc.
• Hundredfold. A great book with many more ideas to promote and foster vocations in your parish
• Vocation Newsletter. A monthly e-newsletter with updates and ideas.